Weave Along

This post has 1 Reply | 2 Followers
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 3
on 2 Apr 2011 12:42 PM

I have been studying my weaving books about block weaves and think I now have a rudimentary understanding of profile drafts.  I do have a few questions.  One of them regards tabby.  If the pattern requires tabby do you still put it after pick?  If so is there a way to represent that on the pattern or is it just something you should know?  Georgia Gleason

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 229
on 2 Apr 2011 12:48 PM

The thing about using a profile draft is that none of the actual interlacement is part of the draft. So you "know" that for summer and winter, each square on the Block A row is 1-3-2-3; for Atwater-Bronson lace, it would be 1-3-1-3-1-2. Then, when you are actually weaving it, you do what is required to make the structural interlacement for that weave. In summer and winter, you alternate tabby and pattern picks. Pattern picks are made by raising tie-down shafts with the pattern shafts where you don't want the pattern weft to show. Summer and winter always works that way no matter how many blocks you have. For Atwater-Bronson lace, each treadling unit represents six picks.

So right, these are things you must know, even though various computer programs will make these substitutions for you. And when you weave projects from Handwoven, all this is already part of the draft you are using.

Madelyn

Page 1 of 1 (2 items) | RSS