My "New" Loom

This post has 4 Replies | 2 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 2
on 22 Apr 2011 1:48 PM

I bought an old loom last weekend It looks to be in pretty good shape but did not come with any thing else. I wish I could show you a picture of it. It doesn't have any stickers that tell what brand or kind it is. It does have 4 (shafts?)

I would love to know the best book(s) to help me learn how to use this wonderful machine. I also need to know what things I have to have to start using it.

Thank you!

Alishamommyof5

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 25
on 22 Apr 2011 4:05 PM

Can you post a picture, that might help with identifying the loom.  As far as books go my favorites are "Weaving" by Shirley Held and "Learning to Weave" by Deborah Chandler. I've found the best buys on gentlhy used books is at www.abebooks.com and at www.bookfinder.com, good luck!

Regards,

Charles

Not Ranked
Posts 2
on 22 Apr 2011 7:09 PM

Thank you for the links Charles! I found the Learning to Weave one. It's an 80s version do you think that there is a difference in content worth finding a newer one?

Here is my loom (I missed the media link last time). It came warped so I played with it tonight (top picture) using the plastic shuttles from the kids loom and some plain yarn. I played around with the shafts and had fun. I think I could do that for hours. :-)

I am glad it came warped because looking at it I am pretty sure there must be tools I need to thread that thing!

It also fits nice on the little kids table and I sat comfortably on my rocking chair while weaving. My kids were oohing and awing. :-) 

It is almost 19in across and 24 in long.

Thanks!

Alishamommyof5

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 25
on 22 Apr 2011 9:18 PM

I doubt that there would be much difference in the 1980's version, my own copy is older that that (1970's actually) weaving has been pretty  set and looms I see fomr the turn of the 1900s seem to  be pretty much what we have today.  I have a loom from the 1880's and the information was accurate for my loom.

It's good that it came warped because it shows you how it is done.  there a couple of items ou might want if don't have them with the loom.  A temple for keeping the selvage straight, and a shuttle for weaving with.  i did not see lease sticks so you may want to gt a pair but they are very simple and you can easily make your own.  You don't need a raddle since you have a sectional warp beam,  think you are pretty ready to go.  My first loom I just used a slender stick and wrapped the weft on the stick which I shoved through the shed. Crude but it worked.  Check out some of the other sites on the internet.  I like the Woolery and of course Glimakra, Joanne Hall  at Glimakra is a wealth of knowledge and there are a lot of resources on her website.  The best thing I have found is to get started and as you run across questions ask on the forums.

Regards,

Charles 

Not Ranked
Posts 1
on 26 Jan 2013 3:46 PM

Hi there, I have a loom exactly like the one pictured above except it 32 inches wide. It has a stamp on the side which states "Ashford". Its a great little workhorse and I'm in the process of sampling different wools etc. If yours is an Ashford then you can still get stainless steel reeds for it. Happy Weaving!!

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS