darft, a thousand flowers

This post has 6 Replies | 2 Followers
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 37
on 19 May 2011 3:09 PM

Can anybody help me with the draft for the 4 shaft pattern "a thousand flowers" ?

Freya Willemoes-Wissing

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 177
Su Butler wrote
on 20 May 2011 8:06 AM

HI Freya.....are you referring to the "A Thousand Flowers" draft found on page 110 of the green Davison book, A Handweavers Pattern Book?   If so, what kind of help do you need??

Su :-)

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 37
on 21 May 2011 2:19 PM

Hi Su, I guess that it is exactly that pattern. And the help is to get the draft, because I maybe want to weave it!

Freya living in Denmark!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/freyaww/collections/72157626628578154/

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 177
Su Butler wrote
on 21 May 2011 4:06 PM

HI Freya.....Am I understanding you do not have the book and want the draft?  There are 21 different treadling variations for this draft....do you know which one you want to weave?  Perhaps you know enough about weaving that you can derive the treadling from the threading.  The basic draft for Thousand Flowers is below.  I am sure you can play with the treadling variations to come with whatever you want.

The draft is written for a rising shed loom, with shaft one being represented by the lowest row on the threading draft.  I am sure you know that the tabby shots would be woven in a color similar to the warp and the pattern shots would be a different color and grist.  Since the patterns in this book are freely used by weavers everywhere, I hope it is OK that I am posting this version here.  Hope that helps.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 37
on 22 May 2011 4:27 PM

Hi Su,

Thanks a lot. I see it is a twill tie-up 2/2. In Denmark we use sinking shed, but that is no problem. I have changed the tie-up to sinking shed. I use Fiberworks, and have allready played with the treadling. It is fun. I think it is interesting how much one can get by 4 shafts. Even doubleweave can be woven on 4 shafts.

You write: "pattern shots would be a different color and grist"  I do not know what grist means? ? My dictionary says "corn to be grinded"??? and "portion" . I guess you mean thickness of the yarn?

Here is one of the descriptions I made for The Swedish VAV magazin: http://www.flickr.com/photos/freyaww/5399385366/in/photostream/

I think thousand flowers will make a great scarf wit 20/2 mercerized cotton or sure with 60/2 silk.

Freya

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 177
Su Butler wrote
on 23 May 2011 7:41 AM

HI Freya....yes, I mean the thickness of the yarn when I use the word grist.  Unfortunately many dictionaries do not include weaving terminology, so it can be hard to find a weaving meaning to English words.  Sorry if I confused you!

I think the thousand flowers will be nice as a scarf with the 60/2 silk.  20/2 might be a little heavy feeling, but you could do it with 20/2 Tencel and get a nice drape.  Hope you will share pics of your finshed pieces!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 37
on 23 May 2011 4:00 PM

Hi Su, You did not confuse me with grist, I am glad to learn more English.

I cannot buy tencel in Denmark ( I know where to get tencel 28/1 but only white). A Thousand Flowers will not become my next project - I have a long weaving to do wishlist- but I sure will share photos when I get to A T F.

Thanks for your help.

Freya

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS