Doubleweave bibliography

This post has 8 Replies | 5 Followers
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 19
doubleweaver wrote
on 10 Jun 2010 11:02 AM

DOUBLEWEAVE BIBLIOGRAPHY

Arn-Grischott. Doubleweave on Four to Eight Shafts, Interweave Press. 

Cahlander, Adele, Doublewoven Treasures from Old Peru, Dos Tejedoras, 1985.

Farrar, Sara.  Basic Doubleweave Theory, Robin and Russ Handweavers.

Fletcher, Kathe.  'Patterned Doubleweave', Handwoven Magazine, March/April 1986.

Handwoven Magazine.  Doubleweave Theme Issues, Summer 1985, Jan/Feb 1988, May/June 1992, Jan/Feb 1999, Jan/Feb 2002.

Magic of Doubleweave, The, Edited by Madelyn van der Hoogt,XRX Books, 2006.

Moore, Jennifer.  Color and Pattern in Doubleweave Pick-up, Weaver’s Magazine, Issue 17, Summer 1992.

Moore, Jennifer. Doubleweave: A Workshop in Your Studio, Handwoven Magazine,      

Issue 108, Jan/Feb 2002. 

Moore, Jennifer, The Weaver’s Studio: Doubleweave, Interweave Press, 2010.  

O'Connor, Paul.  Loom-Controlled Doubleweave, Dos Tejedoras Publications.

Scorgie, Jean, Weaver’s Craft, Issue 21, Doubleweave Pick-up.

Tidball, Harriet.  The Doubleweave:Plain and Patterned, HTH Publishing.

Weaver's Magazine.  Doubleweave Theme Issue, Summer 1992.

Weigle, Palmy.  Doubleweave, Watson-Guptill Publications.

Xenakis, David.  'Fantastic Finnweave', Prairie Wool Companion, April 1982.

Xenakis, David.  'Fantastic Finnweave Part II', Prairie Wool Companion, Oct, 1982.

Xenakis, David.  'Finnweave', Weaver's Magazine, Spring 1988.

Xenakis, David.  'Doubleweave Pick-up'. Weaver's Magazine, Summer 1988.

Zielinski, S.A.  Doubleweaves, Nilus LeClerc Inc.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 12
Sylvia Lowry wrote
on 22 Aug 2010 8:35 AM

Dear Jennifer,

I'm in trouble again with my doubleweave keyboard. I wish I could send you a picture because this is going to be difficult to explain. I wove middle C and successfully separated it from the next key by weaving a single black pick in the white shed which gave me a white pick on the reverse side. So far so good. I wove the next key and did the same thing , got the same result but here is where the trouble lies. Of course I don't remember exactly what I did the first time but I thought I just picked up all the black ends I wanted for the next white shed. But now, when I raise all the white ends I need for the next black shed, the white ends go over the previous black line and I can't figure out how to prevent this and of course, I don't have the crisp separating black line I need. I have tried alternating black and white sheds - didn't work. What has me really stymied is the fact that I did it once but can't do it again. I'm stuck and I can't continue. Can you help me?

Sylvia in Toronto, Ontario

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 19
doubleweaver wrote
on 26 Aug 2010 10:41 AM

Hi Sylvia, 

First I'll try to answer your question about your warp threads sticking together. I think this is mostly due to using the unmercerized cotton, which does tend to stick. Mercerized or perle cotton is much smoother and does not tend to stick very much. But because the sett is very dense for two layers, sticking can always be an issue. I find that if after changing sheds, you bring the beater down to the fell of the cloth and then back again towards the heddles, it helps to clear the shed. I don't think your arrangement of shafts should be having any impact on this issue. 

As to your second issue of trying to get the black line, I'm not sure that I have a clear picture of what you are doing, so I'm not sure if I will be able to answer it satisfactorily, but I'll try. This is what I think you want to be doing - 

- Raise your entire black layer and pick up the threads that will create your black separating line. 

- Change to a white shed and weave with your white weft (with the pick-up stick in place). 

- Raise your entire white layer and pick up all the threads except for the area where your black separating line is. 

- Change to a black shed and weave with your black weft (with the pick-up stick in place). 

I hope this works for you and is helpful. Good luck! 

Jennifer 

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 12
Sylvia Lowry wrote
on 26 Aug 2010 6:49 PM

Dear Jennifer,

I have done that sequence so many times and unwoven it just as many so that the yarn resembles brushed cotton. It is worn out. I picked up the black threads, changed to the white shed and wove with the white shuttle. Then raised all the white ends and took this photo. You can see how the white ends are going over the black line. When I picked up the white ends and wove in the black shed with the black shuttle, those white threads remained over top of the black line. There is a nice white line on the reverse. You can see that it worked before but there is some mysterious force at play here. Why? Why? Why? There has to be a reason but it escapes me. I am loathe to give up. If you can solve this, you will be my angel.

Just ignore the boo-boos caused by the slack black threads worming their way up to the white shed. This is a learning experience and will not be a show piece by any means.

Sylvia

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 19
doubleweaver wrote
on 26 Aug 2010 7:33 PM

Hi Sylvia,

When you are raising up your entire white layer to do the pick-up, you have to pick down the white threads where the black dividing line is. In looking at your photo, it appears to me that those white threads were not picked down. If they were, then they would not stay up over the black threads. Aside from that, unless I were to be there to watch you weave the sequence, I can't think of any other reason why this would be happening. Try this again and let me know if it works.

Good luck!

Jennifer

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 3
Marsha Knox wrote
on 10 Feb 2011 8:26 PM

Is there a way we can read these articles?  I don't seem to be able to click on them.  Maybe I need to buy the article?  Please advise.

Thanks in advance.  Marsha, Please e mail me at pandulaarts@yahoo.com

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 19
lace marie wrote
on 18 Jan 2013 5:15 AM

Hello Doubleweaver,

Have you got the March/April 1986 version of Handwoven by any chance? Iam looking for an article by B. Davenport "Unusual ways with Leno".

Kind regards Marie

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 19
doubleweaver wrote
on 20 Jan 2013 7:48 PM

Hi Marie,

I believe you should be able to access that through the archives on the Interweave website. Let me know if you can't.

cheers, Jennifer

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 19
lace marie wrote
on 21 Jan 2013 6:47 AM

Hi Jennifer,

thanks, I had a look through, but no 1986 March/April.

Have a good day.

Marie

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS