Slow color change sock yarn

This post has 3 Replies | 3 Followers
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 10
on 24 Jun 2010 7:36 AM

I have been having so much fun collecting sock yarns for weaving on these looms!  I can buy one slow color change skein, and have squares in lots of different colors that are all as gorgeous together as the original skein was.  Great way to put colorful interest into your project without having to buy lots of different colored skeins.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
dorsey wrote
on 6 Jul 2010 12:23 PM

What a great idea!  I love the variety of color in sock yarns, but I am not always in the mood to start another pair of socks.   I am new to pin-loom weaving and still in the "gathering information stage", but I have leftover sock yarn and will try this idea soon!  Thanks!!

Dorsey

Not Ranked
Posts 2
wvr4peace wrote
on 6 Jan 2012 12:54 PM

I completely agree with you. These long spanning color repeats are wonderful, but there is a slight learning curve I've found. One of the biggest hints I give our students here at The Mannings when they choose these yarns for their weft is to be sure to wind your bobbin and then re-wind so that your colors will match up as you change from one bobbin to the next. Keep in mind that when you wind the bobbin what was presenting itself on the outside of the ball after winding the bobbin now is to the inside and will be woven last, so if your intention is to continue the colors in the same order as they come off the skein re-winding is the magic key : ) Worth the extra effort!

Not Ranked
Posts 2
wvr4peace wrote
on 6 Jan 2012 12:54 PM

I completely agree with you. These long spanning color repeats are wonderful, but there is a slight learning curve I've found. One of the biggest hints I give our students here at The Mannings when they choose these yarns for their weft is to be sure to wind your bobbin and then re-wind so that your colors will match up as you change from one bobbin to the next. Keep in mind that when you wind the bobbin what was presenting itself on the outside of the ball after winding the bobbin now is to the inside and will be woven last, so if your intention is to continue the colors in the same order as they come off the skein re-winding is the magic key : ) Worth the extra effort!

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS