How to use a boat shuttle on a very fine warp

This post has 3 Replies | 4 Followers
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 9
on 2 Jul 2012 9:14 AM

Hi all,

Probably a stupid question but....I've only ever used stick shuttles and have decided to 'upgrade' to a boat shuttle.  My problem is that I really don't know how to use one.! I have a very fine warp (2/20 cotton/540 end/24 epi).  My shuttle is approximately 8 inches long and relatively light.  I give it a good throw through the shed and it goes half way and then makes a nose dive through the warp onto the floor.

What am I doing wrong?  Is the warp too fine...the shuttle too small or too light...or am I placing it/throwing it wrong (I give it a good thrust directly by the reed).

Help please!

Not Ranked
Posts 1
on 18 Feb 2013 5:40 AM

Hi,

It looks like you never had any replies - but I've got exactly the same problem, so I'm wondering if you managed to sort it out.  I had also thought that maybe the tension on my warp wasn't right, but whilst I know that thiscan be a bit of an "issue" with weavers, I don't think my tension is too far off the mark.

So any guidance that you could give would be gratefully appreciated - especially I'm presently weaving an item some 25ins wide - and boy, can't the stick shuttles become cumbersome. 

Thanks

Ray

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Langrishe wrote
on 18 Feb 2013 7:44 AM

http://peggyosterkamp.com/peggys-weaving-tips-boat-shuttle-bobbins/.  Really helped me.  Search around all her hints and tips.  Ann

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Kippler wrote
on 18 Feb 2013 10:17 AM

The shuttle falls through the warp because it turns toward the weaver while traveling, which means that a bit of spin was applied when pushing it through the shed. Assuming that the shuttle race is wide enough to support the shuttle, the "how-to" involves throwing the shuttle in a way that will keep the back of the shuttle against the reed for the entire trip through the shed. This may take a bit of experimentation and practice. For me, it means propelling the shuttle pretty much with the forefinger pushing the tip of the boat sideways, while the rest of the hand tries to prevent any pressure from the hand pushing towards the back beam. Hope this helps!

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS