How To Read Pattern on Rigid Heddle Loom?

This post has 22 Replies | 4 Followers
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 20
on 13 Dec 2012 11:16 AM

I just got a 24" rigid heddle loom and I do not know how to read a pattern.

I have got the The Weaver's Idea Book: Creative Cloth on a Rigid Heddle Loom, by Jane Patrick, but I tried many tomes and I do not know how to read the pattern.

I am sorry, but I really want to learn.

Kind regards,

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 76
Lynn Tedder wrote
on 16 Dec 2012 2:59 PM

The Weaver's Idea Book is more of an intermediate-level rigid heddle book than one for beginners; it assumes that you are familiar with the basics of warping and weaving on (and understanding weaving instructions for) a rigid heddle loom and offers primarily weaving patterns rather than specific projects. If you are just beginning to weave on a rigid heddle, and particularly if you are teaching yourself, you might find it easier if you begin with a rigid heddle book that focuses on basic information. Weaving Made Easy: 17 Projects Using a Simple Loom by Liz Gipson (also published by Interweave) goes into lots of detail about terminology, warping and weaving on a rigid heddle loom, and its projects allow you to learn by doing. Once you have completed some of the projects from Weaving Made Easy, you will probably find The Weaver's Idea Book much more accessible.

That said, there are some idiosyncrasies in The Weaver's Idea Book that can be confusing if you don't know what they are. The main thing to know is that, in addition to instructions for weaving the patterns on a rigid heddle loom, the book also includes graphical weaving drafts so that shaft loom weavers can weave the same patterns on their looms, which work quite differently from rigid heddle looms. Instructions for rigid heddle weavers will be in text, so weavers on a rigid heddle can and should ignore anything that looks like this:

Good luck in your weaving adventures! I hope this helps.

Lynn Tedder

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 96
CarolineA wrote
on 16 Dec 2012 4:48 PM

I would heartily recommend Betty Davenport's book "Hands on Rigid Heddle Weaving"as a starter book, also available in the Interweave store. Its for beginners and focuses only on the rigid heddle loom.There is plenty there to keep you busy as you make friends with  your loom, and once you have worked through that you will be ready for the Patrick book, and will be able to use it to its fullest extent.

The Gipson book is good, I have a copy, but it  starts at the very, very beginning of how to weave, and covers all the very simple frame looms as well as the rigid heddle loom, so you may find it a bit basic for your needs. This is not a criticism, its just that Liz Gipson and Betty Davenport cover different  approaches to, and areas of, weaving. As you already have your rigid heddle loom its more practical to  go for the book that covers learning how to use it, weaving patterns, and more importantly, how to read the pattern drafts for pick-up and other weaves.

Its quite possible that both books will be in your local library, giving you a chance to have a look at them before buying them. If they are, I would suggest read the Gipson book to get a good grounding in how weaving works, then buy the Davenport book to learn what you can get out of your loom because there is a fair bit to work through. Then the Patrick book flows on seamlessly from there and shows you just how versatile these tiny and efficient looms can be and what amazing fabrics they can produce.

I wish you many happy hours at your loom, there is almost nothing you cannot do on it, except tap dance, lol!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 20
on 18 Dec 2012 10:17 AM

Thank you Very Much to Lynn Tedder & CarolineA for your reply to my question.

Now that you (CarolineA) said to ignore the graphic, I can understand a little bit when I read the text, but I do not understand the graphics, which I want to learn afterwards.

I bought the Hands on Rigid Heddle Weaving yesterday (suggested by Lynn Tedder) and I am going to buy the Weaving Made Easy: 17 Projects Using a Simple Loom by Liz Gipson learn from there and then go back to The Weaver's Idea Book and try some of the patterns.

My Rigid Loom has the kit to use two heddles and I really want to learn to use it with one or two heddles and pic up stick, like in a '3 shaft' loom.

I have the Handweaver's Pattern Book by Anne Dixon as well, but I think that is for 4 plus shaft looms. My next item on my wish list, a bigger loom.  :-)

Have you seen or heard of the Videos:

Slots and Holes: Three Ways to Warp a Rigid-Heddle Loom by Liz Gipson

http://www.interweavestore.com/Weaving/DVDs-Videos/Slots-and-Holes-Three-Ways-to-Warp-a-Rigid-Heddle-Loom-Download-in-HD.html

Weaving on a Rigid Heddle Loom by Jane Patrick

http://www.interweavestore.com/Weaving/DVDs-Videos/Weaving-on-a-Rigid-Heddle-Loom-Download.html

Thank you so much again.

Have a Great Christmas Time and a Very Happy and Prosperous 2013 (in all areas of your life).  :-)

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 20
on 23 Dec 2012 9:23 AM

Thank you Very Much to Lynn Tedder & CarolineA for your reply to my question.

Now that you (CarolineA) said to ignore the graphic, I can understand a little bit when I read the text, but I do not understand the graphics, which I want to learn afterwards.

I bought the Hands on Rigid Heddle Weaving yesterday (suggested by Lynn Tedder) and I am going to buy the Weaving Made Easy: 17 Projects Using a Simple Loom by Liz Gipson learn from there and then go back to The Weaver's Idea Book and try some of the patterns.

My Rigid Loom has the kit to use two heddles and I really want to learn to use it with one or two heddles and pic up stick, like in a '3 shaft' loom.

I have the Handweaver's Pattern Book by Anne Dixon as well, but I think that is for 4 plus shaft looms. My next item on my wish list, a bigger loom.  :-)

http://www.interweavestore.com/Weaving/DVDs-Videos/Slots-and-Holes-Three-Ways-to-Warp-a-Rigid-Heddle-Loom-Download-in-HD.html

http://www.interweavestore.com/Weaving/DVDs-Videos/Weaving-on-a-Rigid-Heddle-Loom-Download.html

Thank you so much again.

Have a Great Christmas Time and a Very Happy and Prosperous 2013 (in all areas of your life).  :-)

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 20
on 23 Dec 2012 9:24 AM

Thank you Very Much to Lynn Tedder  for your reply to my question.

Thank you so much again.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 19
lace marie wrote
on 29 Dec 2012 4:22 AM

Hi, absolutely excellent book. I got a rigid heddle 24 inch too for christmas and the book is a god sent.

Marie

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 19
lace marie wrote
on 29 Dec 2012 4:22 AM

Hi, absolutely excellent book. I got a rigid heddle 24 inch too for christmas and the book is a god sent.

Marie

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 20
on 29 Dec 2012 9:45 AM

lace marie which book are you talking about it?    :-)

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 20
on 29 Dec 2012 9:46 AM

Thank you Very Much to Lynn Tedder CarolineA & lace marie for your reply to my question.

Thank you so much again.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 20
on 29 Dec 2012 9:47 AM

Thank you Very Much to Lynn Tedder CarolineA & lace marie for your reply to my question.

I have the Handweaver's Pattern Book by Anne Dixon as well, but I think that is for 4 plus shaft looms. My next item on my wish list, a bigger loom.  :-)

Thank you so much again.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 20
on 2 Jan 2013 5:30 AM

Thank you very much for your reply Lynn TedderCarolineA, lace marie.

I have replied to you all but still did not show on this forum; maybe Christmas Holiday.

I bought the Betty Davenport's book "Hands on Rigid Heddle Weaving" and I will buy the Weaving Made Easy: 17 Projects Using a Simple Loom by Liz Gipson afterwards.

My loom has the 'block kit' attached to it, so I can add an extra heddle/reed to it, and I would love to learn how to read the pattern showing on the book (as graphic above), so I can try to make more patterns, getting from other books as well.

Do you know or do you know any book, video that explains how to read the graphics shown in the book?

Thank you!  :-)

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 20
on 2 Jan 2013 5:31 AM

Thank you very much for your reply Lynn TedderCarolineA, lace marie.

I have replied to you all but still did not show on this forum; maybe Christmas Holiday.

I bought the Betty Davenport's book "Hands on Rigid Heddle Weaving" and I will buy the Weaving Made Easy: 17 Projects Using a Simple Loom by Liz Gipson afterwards.

My loom has the 'block kit' attached to it, so I can add an extra heddle/reed to it, and I would love to learn how to read the pattern showing on the book (as graphic above), so I can try to make more patterns, getting from other books as well.

Do you know or do you know any book, video that explains how to read the graphics shown in the book?

Thank you!  :-)

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 19
lace marie wrote
on 8 Jan 2013 4:33 PM

Hi, oops sorry missed your entry.

The book is "Weaving made easy by Liz Gipson". I also have the beginners book by Betty Davenport, but her style is a bit complicated .

Smile Thanks

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 20
on 16 Jan 2013 5:40 PM

Lynn Tedder, CarolineA, lace marie,  Thank you very much for your replies.

I have replied to you twice once last year and I didn't see anything in this page and replied again and still did not show on this forum.

I will try again.

Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2  Next > | RSS