Norwood warp beam

This post has 11 Replies | 5 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 1
on 22 Dec 2012 2:04 PM

Looking for a replacement for my Norwood 48" loom. It has a sectional warp and I am looking to replce  it with a regular warp beam.  Does anyone know an parts sources for these looms? 

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 3
shuttle wrote
on 23 Dec 2012 11:38 AM

To make a standard beam out of a sectional Norwood beam, just pull out the pegs and you're there.  Parts are no longer available for Norwoods.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
andrlin wrote
on 28 May 2014 1:57 PM

Let me know if you're willing to sell your pegs.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 3
shuttle wrote
on 28 May 2014 4:47 PM

The pegs are standard furniture pegs, available at good hardware stores.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 6
on 18 Jan 2015 7:08 PM

I'm so glad to see this reply about sectional beams.  I just bought my first Norwood today, a 36" 6 treadle made in Chicago in the 40s in Cherry.  I don't want to mess with a sectional beam so the guy is going to make new four new beams from cherry with beveled edges and put them in place of the sectional ones.  Then if I ever sell it, the new buyer can make it sectional again if desired.  Glad to get confirmation that you can still warp without the pegs.  I've only warped on a Harrisville loom with one round beam so I still have to figure out how to do it with the four, minus the pegs.  Anyone know where I can find information on doing this?  

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 52
on 18 Jan 2015 10:10 PM

Do what you want with the pegs, but I left mine in and just use the beam like a regular one.  I like that one complete pass around the beam is 1 yard instead of a few inches.  I do not have near the problem with getting the warp on smoothly.  The 'experts' may cringe, but I do not put packing sticks on, either.  Of course, most of my warps are 5 yd or less.  Maybe you will find this info useful.

Ruth

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 6
on 4 Mar 2015 4:59 PM

I don't have an answer, just a question.  I removed the pegs on my Norwood sectional.  I need to know where/how to attach the cords to it that will also be attached to a steel apron rod near the back beam.  It seems like the only place would be ONE of the wood sections without pegs but I wonder if it's strong enough for the tension that will be necessary.  On my former Harrisville I had cords going from the round warp beam to a steel apron rod, and I then brought that up over the back beam to attach the warp ends to. I also used a raddle to distribute the ends, similarly to how the pegs would do it were they still there.  Then I would it on and went to the front to thread and sley.  

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 3
shuttle wrote
on 5 Mar 2015 8:49 AM

I ordered my loom with a sectional beam and the pegs in a bag.  It came with cords attached to one of the wood cross-pieces on the beam and I've used it that way for over 25 years with no issues.  I'm thinking of changing over to texsolv, but not because the cords have weakened at all.  There are 20 doubled cords that attach to the apron rod with larks head knots.  Hope this helps.

Barbara

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 52
on 5 Mar 2015 10:03 AM

I still use the warp beam as it came.  The following pictures show its present use.

Then instead of tying those cords to a rod and the warp to the rod, I use a larks head knot to attach a 2" section of the warp to each cord.  The pegs keep the warp even across the beam.

(The project has already been cut off in this picture which explains the lack of tension on the warp and cords.)

This works very well for me - and I do not use any packing on the back beam.  Hope this helps.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 6
on 5 Mar 2015 1:44 PM

Thanks, Barbara.  Just so I'm totally clear, I think you're saying the cords are attached to just ONE of the horizontal pieces that would hold the pegs if you chose to use them.  Right?  How is the cord attached to that piece?  Are you using a larks head knot on both the wooden beam and the  metal apron rod?  What size loom do you have?  I bought some Texsolv cord  already, figuring I'd use it for "something", so I could use that.   I think this would be my solution if I'm understanding it correctly.  

Charlie

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 6
on 5 Mar 2015 1:49 PM

Thanks for the pictures!  That helps me see how you've attached things, which is quite helpful.  I'm a novice at this and someday I hope I'll laugh at finding it so confusing. 

Charlie

Not Ranked
Posts 1
rinconcats wrote
on 17 Mar 2015 8:39 PM

So glad to find this post in the forum. I am a day away from visiting a Norwood loom that will most likely follow me home. It is also Chicago vintage. Can you direct me to any links that you have found especially helpful? I'm new to sectional warping too! Thanks in advance!

Mary Kay

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS