warp double threads through each slot and eye?

This post has 4 Replies | 2 Followers
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 17
lace marie Surprise [:O] wrote
on 28 Dec 2012 4:20 PM

Hi, my name is Marie and I am totally new to weaving. Got a Rigid Heddle for Christmas and would like to start my first tote bag.

Unfortunately I don't understand the first sentence in my pattern, warp double thread through each slot and eye?

I have watched the Ashford video , how to warp a rigid heddle, as far as i could see, a double thread is going through the slot, but only a single one through the eye.

Maybe there is a experienced weaver who could help.

Looking forward to a response, thanks girls

MarieSmile

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 74
Lauriess wrote
on 29 Dec 2012 2:45 PM

Its one in each.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 17
lace marie wrote
on 29 Dec 2012 4:32 PM

Thank you Lauriess, just a normal warp then.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 72
Lynn Tedder wrote
on 30 Dec 2012 4:36 PM

Hi Marie,

If your pattern says to warp a double thread through each slot and eye, then it means that you need two strands in both slots and holes for the whole width of the warp. Each pair of threads works as a single warp of heavier thread. On rigid heddle looms this is often done so that you can use finer threads but still have a stable cloth at the ends per inch possible on a rigid heddle loom (usually around 8, 10, or 12 ends per inch). 

The warping instructions you watched placed pairs (or loops) of warp threads through the slots only so that the warp could be spread and wound onto the back warp beam at the width needed for weaving. Once it is wound on, the warp is cut at the front of the loom, and one strand is removed from each slot and threaded through an adjacent empty hole (or eye) to make the shed. The result is a warp with only one strand in both the slots and the holes.

To make a warp of doubled threads, you will need to draw a looped pair of warp threads through both the slots and the holes of your rigid heddle. While this will take longer than the usual method, the upside is that the loom is fully warped, and all you have to do is to wind the warp on the warp beam, cut the front loops and tie on to be ready to weave.

Hope this helps,
Lynn Tedder 

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 17
lace marie wrote
on 3 Jan 2013 3:00 PM

A big thank you Lynn,  for such an excellent post. This was so helpful and I am well away with my frist project.

Many many thanks again

Happy New year

Marie

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS