Norwood Loom owners.....

This post has 5 Replies | 3 Followers
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 5
wuxiteen wrote
on 7 Jan 2013 8:16 PM

I recently acquired a little 30" 4-shaft Norwood loom.  It appears to be in good condition.  No warp issues that I can see.  Beater bar is square and rests evenly against breast beam, all four harnesses are straight and they move easily up and down.  Here's the problem...when I depress the treadles (which are chained up correctly) the harnesses rise but do not drop back down on their own--I have to put my hand on top of them and put them back into position.  It is not threaded yet so this is not a twisted yarn problem.  Please help...what is the problem?  Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Wuxiteen

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 20
on 8 Jan 2013 7:06 PM

I have owned a 35 year old Norwood for a little over a year and think I recall a similar problem.  If it is just the shafts that are sticking up, I would take them out, clean off the edges and rub them lightly with a soft bar of soap to lubricate them.  Having said that, I'm new to all this - so someone else may have a much better answer.  Good luck.  I really like my Norwood!

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 5
wuxiteen wrote
on 9 Jan 2013 10:08 AM

Thanks for the help.  I will try this.  Happy to hear that you love your Norwood.  Wuxiteen

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 6
on 10 Jan 2013 8:06 PM

I've had a 22" 4H Norwood Studio loom for 25+ years that is my towel weaving workhorse. It too has sticky harnesses at times. The problem is the nylon cord that attaches each treadle to its' shaft rolls on a small tubular piece of PVC  above the treadles and under the harnesses.....sometimes that cord slides behind the PVC and binds....it doesn't happen often and I just make a habit of checking it periodically after I tire of 'bapping' the harnesses back in place.

It is or would be very difficult to remove the harnesses without disassmebling the castle of the loom. Using some wax ( a skinny candle) or furniture polish might help along the runners, but it seems the biggest problem lies in the rolller area.........again would be most difficult to correct. The PVC is just a tad short of it's fitting....any tighter and all would bind. I only have difficulty with one shaft...I think it's #3....the joy of weaving on this sweet little loom certainly overrides any difficulties with it...........I'd not trade it for anything~! Very portable, quiet, smooth.

Check out that area....the 'heart' of the loom, also keep the lint clear in that area as that is where it builds up if weaving a lot of cotton.....

elaine

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 5
wuxiteen wrote
on 11 Jan 2013 2:27 PM

Elaine:  Relieved to hear that you are happy with your Norwood.  Thank you for your suggestions.  Kate

Not Ranked
Posts 1
JEANS@15 wrote
on 17 Apr 2013 11:58 AM

After you have tried the solutions mentioned in the other replies, try this one. Look at the top of the shafts toward either side and make sure that the screws holding the metal side pieces are round-headed screws, not flat-headed. If any of them are flat-headed, the shaft is upside down. Lift it out, turn it upside down, and replace it. Then try your treadles. 

If the round-headed screws are on the bottom, they interfere with the wood pieces pushing the shaft up.

Hope that helps!

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS