Direct warping

This post has 2 Replies | 2 Followers
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 3
bryantc wrote
on 24 Jan 2013 1:41 PM

I have a 4 harness table loom & wonder what the pros & cons of direct warping are ?

I have tried front-to-back warping & got into such a god-awful mess, I thought I would try the easier (?) direct method, no cross, just 160 x 3 ends. I do groups of 8 x 3 & anchor both ends, so no tangles. So far, so good !!!!

Please tell me if I am heading for disaster.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 98
CarolineA wrote
on 24 Jan 2013 4:23 PM

Hi, I have actually direct warped a table loom - it has advantages, and headaches. You need to get the warp through the reed and the bulk wound onto the front beam before you attempt to thread the heddles, and you definitely need to preserve the cross. You also need a strong back and a lot of patience.

The reason for preserving the cross is so you do not get the warp threads in the wrong order and make a horrible mess of the warp on the back beam every time you try to wind on the warp.

Given the small number of warp threads you may not be in too much strife, you can only give it a try, but I would be very concerned about an even tension on the warp, tangles, and actual knots in the warp further down the track. You may be lucky; I've dropped my  cross sticks and have had awful problems getting the threads back in order, and I use one inch units.

You also need to consider the amount of time bending over in an awkward position.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 89
PattieGraver wrote
on 24 Jan 2013 7:45 PM

Hi bryantc,

Can you explain what went wrong with your attempt to warp ftb? I use this method, and I might be able to help? Also, Madelyn van der Hoogt's warping video is excellent. I think it would be a good idea for you to learn a proper method of warping Smile

Pattie

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS