White on White handtowels

This post has 20 Replies | 8 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 2
PegiD wrote
on 18 Feb 2012 12:20 PM

Hi Rita and all.

Can you explain further about what you mean about avoiding a floating selvedge? I'm new and don't understand what you mean about the threading.

Thanks in advance,

Pegi in Michigan

Not Ranked
Posts 2
PegiD wrote
on 18 Feb 2012 12:20 PM

Hi Rita and all.

Can you explain further about what you mean about avoiding a floating selvedge? I'm new and don't understand what you mean about the threading.

Thanks in advance,

Pegi in Michigan

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 111
on 19 Feb 2012 11:27 AM

Hi Pegi

It depends on what I am weaving, whether or not I use floating selvages. For four shafts weaving, as long as you thread all four shafts at each selvage, you will not need to use a floating selvage. For ex: right selvage thread 1,2,3,4 and on the left selvage, thread 3,4,1,2.  If I am weaving twill and not using a straight draw treadling( ABCDABCD....) then I use a floating selvage. But for overshot, there is no need because you are treadling a tabby in between each pattern weft. As long as all four shafts are in the selvages, then all your pattern wefts will lie selvage to selvage..

I never use a floating selvage for four shaft Overshot, Monk's Belt, Halvdräll, Lace. You can also thread some twills with 1,3 at one selvage and 2,4 at the other, breaking the odd/even sequence at the selvage. If I am weaving mutishaft overshot, then I may use a floating selvage because threading 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 makes a large selvage.

Hope this helps you.

Rita

Not Ranked
Posts 1
tonigatland wrote
on 4 Dec 2012 9:00 PM

Hi Yvonne,

I've been searching for weeks for information on weaving bath towells using cotton chenille and am fascinated with the idea of overshot. Did you use the cottolin for warp and tabby? What sett did you use? I'd be really delighted to have this information if you happen to read this post.

Thanks

Toni

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 111
on 4 Dec 2012 9:14 PM

Hi Yvonne,

I assume you will use chenille for weft. What do you intend to use fore a warp thread. Maybe 5/2 cotton, then 18 epi. or 16 epi.

Rita

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 8
Yvonne K wrote
on 5 Dec 2012 6:13 AM

Yes, Toni

The cottolin was used as warp and weft. The sett was 18 ends per inch. The shrinkage in width was 17 percent, I'm not sure about the warp shrinkage because I didn't keep that information - probably 15 percent for take-up and shrinkage.

The overshot weave makes good use of the chenille's characteristics, and keeps it firmly under control. The finished towels are quite dense and soft, but not as absorbent as I had hoped. Do you have time to sample different yarns, or a wider sett for the cottolin?

Yvonne.

Page 2 of 2 (21 items) < Previous  1 2 | RSS