how to warp a two sided inkle loom

This post has 2 Replies | 3 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 1
boomersooner wrote
on 7 Jan 2011 3:09 PM

Hi

I am new to this forum....have been weaving for several years,but never on an inkle loom.  I found an older, two sided inkle loom made by CraftYarns in Rhode Island.

I have no clue how to warp this loom.  I have been reading the 'Inkle Weaving' by Helene Bress.  This is a very good reference book and there is a photo of a loom like mine featured.  However, no warping instructions are given and, in fact, she says this type loom is 'not recommended' since warping can be a challenge...

Can anyone help me?

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 8
loominator wrote
on 1 Feb 2011 6:16 PM

I use a one sided IL but have seen several videos on warping a double sided loom. All you need to do is warp the loom on its side. You can follow the same warping instructions and heddle making method as in the Helene Bress. I also have that book and it is a great resource. Happy Inkling

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 3
BGMeyer wrote
on 20 Jan 2013 10:59 AM

Use short balls of thread and you have to use different heddles: you make a loop of thread, slip knot it over the heddle post (without seeing your loom it is hard to explain where that is or how wide to make the heddle loops. See if you can find a local weaver who can help you) Then you feed the warp threads THROUGH the loops. Use very small balls of thread to get through. I was taught originally--many years ago on a two sided loom, they are NOT as good but they can work. They are good for children who would be frustrated by the warp maybe slipping off the loom as they work.

I THINK (I don't have it in front of me, so I can't say for sure) that Lavina Bradley's Inkle Weaving: a comprehensive Manual  may have some help at least on making and securing the heddles.

barb

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS