Lost, completely and totally lost

This post has 5 Replies | 2 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 2
PeigiG wrote
on 22 Mar 2011 11:47 PM

What an Eye-Opener!   I was excited to participate in this WAL, that is until I really looked at what I was supposed to do.  I consider myself a fairly experienced weaver....certainly not a beginner....that is until I was startled to realize that I have absolutely no idea how to turn this draft into even ONE of the suggested weaves.      How Humbling!

Is this possibly a teachable moment for you at Weaving Today?   I don't even know where to look for the information I need to proceed!    Once I figure this out, you can bet I'm going to warp a loom and weave as many different techniques as I can.   It's certainly a Learning moment for me....

This is what comes of always following someone else's drafts.  I'm LOST.  

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 5
on 23 Mar 2011 3:13 AM

I can think of  at least 13 weaving structures to weave the two block challenge, from 2 to 8 and more shafts. Maybe there are even more. I am trying to find time (and energy) to create a two shaft fabric....

Erica de Ruiter, Malden, The Netherlands

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 229
on 23 Mar 2011 7:26 AM

Hi PeigiG!

Maybe you haven't used profile drafts before? If you have a four-shaft loom, you can pick summer and winter or Atwater-Bronson lace for this design. If you have eight shafts, there are lots and lots of block weaves you can use. There are many sources for learning how to do this: The Complete Book of Drafting by moi, Designing with Blocks by Doramay Keasbey, and A Weaver's Book of 8-Shaft Patterns by Carol Strickler. There is also a chapter on using profile drafts in Learning to Weave by Deborah Chandler. If you haven't done any of this before and you are in a guild, get an experienced weaver to show you more about this. I'll also be talking about how to do it as we go along. I'm working on that now!

Madelyn

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 229
on 23 Mar 2011 7:27 AM

And, Erica, it would be fabulous if you could do this!

Madelyn

Not Ranked
Posts 2
PeigiG wrote
on 24 Mar 2011 10:28 PM

Hi Madelyn,  

You're right, I've never used a profile draft.  Today I dug out my Learning to Weave, New Key to Weaving, American Woven Coverlets and Carol Strickler's book and started to read.  I also intend to buy the new ebook on block weaving.   I do belong to a small weaving group and told our most experienced weaver that I needed one serious weaving lesson.  She was able to explain the basics of using a profile draft, so hopefully my research will make sense.  I have a lot of studying to do!   I'm also looking forward to your how-to's here.....     Thank you for your response -- and for giving me a place to begin!    

And Erica, you gave me a number of structures to aim for!    Do I understand that in order to weave this in Doubleweave, I'd need 16 shafts?  

Thanks again -- Off to hit the books!   Peigi G

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 229
on 25 Mar 2011 7:47 AM

I'm sure Erica will also answer, but for doubleweave you only need eight! (It's very fun to see you start this part of your weaving journey!)

Madelyn

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS