Weave-along

This post has 72 Replies | 9 Followers
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 3
on 29 Mar 2011 1:55 PM

I know I am a bit late but I would like to join the weave-along.  I am having trouble creating a pattern from the profile draft.   I guess I do not really understand "profile".   If I wanted to do a 1231, 1231, series and then change  to a 4324, 4324 series how would I put that into a profile?  And then taking the profile given to us how would I translate that into a threading pattern?      Georgia Gleason

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 229
on 29 Mar 2011 8:47 PM

You are not at all late; we are just getting started.

And I think you may be understanding a profile draft. It is a design that you use with block weaves like summer and winter, Atwater-Bronson lace, etc. Some profile drafts can be used for overshot, too, as long as floats are not too long.

I'm not sure where you are getting your 1231 and 4324 series, but it is even possible that threading could be used with a profile draft.

Do you have Deborah Chandler's Learning to Weave? Let me know and I'll tell you where to start.

Did you download the 2-block profile (see upper left menu on the weavingtoday home page)?

Madelyn

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 11
Redgeranium wrote
on 30 Mar 2011 7:40 AM

I have the Deborah Chandler book---where do I start?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 229
on 30 Mar 2011 8:39 AM

OK, start reading on page 178. She explains about blocks and profile drafts. This whole area is not easy to understand, but once you do, a design door is opened that can change your weaving life. Let me know if you have any questions--answers to you might also help others.

If you have a 4-shaft loom, my suggestion is that you pick either summer and winter or Atwater-Bronson lace to study and use for your Weave-Along project.

Madelyn

Not Ranked
Posts 1
on 30 Mar 2011 11:26 AM

I really do want to learn to do Bronson Lace...BUT, I'm a novice weaver with a wonderful rigid heddle loom.  Can I do this on my loom?  Thanks

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 229
on 30 Mar 2011 11:45 AM

There is a way to do pick-up on the rigid-heddle loom to get Atwater-Bronson lace. You can find out how in our eBook Rigid Heddle Pattern Book #1 by Betty Davenport. There are also versions of pick-up lace in Jane Patrick's The Weaver's Idea Book, both available in the Interweave Store. The problem for the Weave-Along is that the number of threads per inch on the rigid heddle is limited, so to do a design of the scale of the Weave-Along would not be easy (would need a lot of threads and be therefore very wide). I am going to check with Jane Patrick to see if she'd be willing to adapt the profile to the rigid-heddle loom. She is pretty busy, so maybe not, but....

Or maybe someone else out there would be interested?

Not Ranked
Posts 2
SueP@14 wrote
on 31 Mar 2011 9:38 AM

I would also like to join this group

sue

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 229
on 31 Mar 2011 12:02 PM

The first thing to do is to download the profile draft (see upper left menu of our home page). This is the design that we are all weaving using different weave structures. I don't know if we'll be able to get instructions for you to follow for a rigid-heddle loom, but I'm checking that out, so keep looking here.

Madelyn

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 11
Redgeranium wrote
on 31 Mar 2011 8:08 PM

I have downloaded the profile draft and looked over the section you suggested in Chandler's book.  I will use the summer & winter.  Are you going to give us the threading draft or am I to use the one on page 185 of Chandler?  If so, I have further questions.  Thank you!

MJ

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 179
Su Butler wrote
on 1 Apr 2011 8:42 AM

HI MJ....The profile everyone is working from tells you which order to thread your blocks.  Since you are doing this two block design in Summer and Winter, you only need to know the unit threading for each block. 

Block A would be threaded 1-3-2-3

Block B would be threaded 1-4-2-4

Just repeat each block, substituting the four thread threading unit for each blackened square in the profile draft. 

Treadling will work the same way, substituting one four pick unit for each blackened square in the treadling profile.

Block A will be treadled - 1-2   1-4   3-4   2-4

Block B will be treadled  1-2    1-3   3-4   2-3

Hope that  helps.

Su

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 43
kkrueg wrote
on 1 Apr 2011 12:39 PM

I think I'm in.  I've never done Summer and Winter, and would like to learn it.  I have downloaded the draft and have read the section on Tied Unit Weaves in Madelyn's book.  I've also loaded the draft into my weaving software and am experimenting with different tie down order.

My problem is that I am currently weaving my way through 13 yards of 20-2 warp for the Napkin Exchange, and unless I warp my Dorothy, I can't start sampling.

I also need to decide what this is going to be...placemats, maybe?  Does a warp/tabby weft of 10-2 cotton with a pattern weft of 5-2 sound appropriate?

Kaaren

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 229
on 1 Apr 2011 12:51 PM

You are farther along than I am!

10/2 cotton with 5/2 pattern weft and a sett of 24 epi sounds perfect. So, using the exact profile draft, you would have 57 threading squares x 4 warp threads each or 228 plus 2 for floating selvedges, always good with summer and winter. That would make a piece under 10 inches wide, however, so you will want to add something to the profile draft. You can do the center section bigger (or break it up into smaller sections of the two blocks...you need to play with this in a computer program!), and you can add to the proportions of the border sections (making those 4 square places 5 squares, for example). Placemats would be perfect. Or a table runner.

Get busy on those napkins!

Madelyn

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 11
Redgeranium wrote
on 2 Apr 2011 11:32 AM

THANKS Su, Kaaren and Madelyn!

What would be the recommended weaving width for placemats?  I have a table loom free with 15 " width, 12 dent reed that I will use.  It's an 8 H, but for this project, I'll use it as a 4H.

And, I do not have any weaving computer programs...what do you suggest for a "starter?"

Thanks for the good help and suggestions!

MJ

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 229
on 2 Apr 2011 12:53 PM

Placemat width is really variable and depends on your personal wishes. I'd say anything from 12 to 15" width works. You'll have some draw-in, so I'd allow an inch more in weaving width than your desired finished width.

Computer weaving programs depend on your personal taste, too (and the kind of computer you have). It's really a good idea to download the demos that most of them provide and try them out.

Madelyn

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 113
cutler070805 wrote
on 3 Apr 2011 11:14 AM

I am so excited for this weave along!  I haven't done a profile draft yet, but I'm willing to try something new.  I think I like this idea of summer and winter.... so I'm going to go with that!

Page 1 of 5 (73 items) 1 2 3 4 5  Next > | RSS