Weave-along

This post has 72 Replies | 9 Followers
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 113
cutler070805 wrote
on 11 Apr 2011 1:19 PM

I've made a treadling error and I'm running out of warp to start over again.  So here are my options. 

1.  Should I leave it and match the 2nd side to it?

2.  Should I make the other side look right and have one right, one wrong?

3.  Take the time to take it out and re-weave it?

4.  Finish it whichever way and start over again with a new project and make it right?

I am just curious what everyone elses' opinions are before I make my decision.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 179
Su Butler wrote
on 11 Apr 2011 2:43 PM

HI cutler.....What kind of treadling error did you make?  Are you showing that you didn't weave the blocks as planned??  Am I understanding that you made this error at one end of the piece you are weaving and now you are at the opposite end, ready to finish up the piece and have found the blocks were not woven exactly as planned?  If that is the case, I would just repeat what you did at the beginning and make the piece look as if it were planned to be woven that way.  With the ends symmetrical, only you (and anyone who reads this post <g>) will know what was originally intended.   The profile won't be exactly the same as the challenge profile, but call it artistic license and move ahead.....<g>.........

If you have time and materials and wish to reproduce the profile precisely, then I would opt for the above, then start a new project and weave it as planned.

Just my $0.02......

Su :-)

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 113
cutler070805 wrote
on 12 Apr 2011 8:54 PM

Yeah, I forgot to put in one of the steps in the treadling, so I kind of have a short, stubby border on the edges.  I originally thought to make both sides equal like you suggested, even though it's wrong according to the pattern.  But I love the way you put it: an "artistic license"!  I just wanted to know what others would do in this situation.  Now I feel like finishing this piece (maybe tomorrow or at least by the weekend).  Thanks for your 2 cents!  Do you ever have one of those projects that seems like it should be a strait shot through at the beginning and then nothing really comes together in the end?  Yeah, that doesn't happen to me very often, but this one sure feels that way.  It was first the colors and then the mistake... oh well though, at least I have a piece that will match on both ends, right?  Even though it doesn't really fit the pattern of the weave along anymore, I think that's what bothered me the most.  But I will like it when it's done and finished and decorating the piano!!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 179
Su Butler wrote
on 13 Apr 2011 4:28 AM

Cutler wrote:

Do you ever have one of those projects that seems like it should be a strait shot through at the beginning and then nothing really comes together in the end? 

We all do!  It's called "growing pains".......every "mistake" is an oppotunity to learn.  And often happy surprises can result from the pieces that are deemed "mistakes" .  As my college painting instructor used to say, "you are going to make at least 5000 mistakes before it get it all just right, so you had better get started!!"    Taking something and making it your own often means you might deviate from the original, but that is what being an artist is all about - your *own* interpretations and visions......

And in the end, YOU like the piece!

Su  :-)

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 43
kkrueg wrote
on 13 Apr 2011 7:10 PM

I am using WeaveIt.  I started out with version 2.0, which doesn't have Block Substitution, and so I "established" my blocks thread by thread.   (I've upgraded to WeaveIt Pro 6.0, but haven't learned all the ins and outs yet.)  Somehow from reading pages 77-78 in The Complete Book of Drafting for Handweavers I doubled the number of threads per block.  I've adjusted my drawdown and am now working on adjusting my draft so that I have the right proportions for placemats.  When I've done that, my software will calculate the yardage I need for each color I'll be using.  Here's what I have so far.

0844.SummerAndWinterO1-2-2-1e.pdf

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 113
cutler070805 wrote
on 13 Apr 2011 7:25 PM

kkreug: love the colors!!!  How many shafts is this?

That sounds like a neat program if it calculates your yardage and everything.  Wow!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 43
kkrueg wrote
on 13 Apr 2011 7:36 PM

4 shafts.  I'm trying to coordinate colors with my stoneware.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 6
CathyL@5 wrote
on 14 Apr 2011 1:49 PM

This may be off topic a bit:  I am using the summer/winter pattern as many of you are doing.  How is weft yardage calculated when you use a tabby and a pattern weft?  I have seen other patterns for this type of weave and it appears that the weft is twice the ppi. 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 113
cutler070805 wrote
on 14 Apr 2011 6:30 PM

I have posted a walk through tutorial on the main weave-along page and also a cheat sheet that goes along with it.  Please use it to understand how to use the profile draft better.  Hopefully it all works, this is the first time I've posted powerpoint presentations online!  If it doesn't work, maybe I can find another format that will work.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 43
kkrueg wrote
on 14 Apr 2011 8:24 PM

Great job!!  What's your "day job"?

Kaaren

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 113
cutler070805 wrote
on 15 Apr 2011 8:51 AM

kkrueg:

Great job!!  What's your "day job"?

Kaaren

This is the end of my 7th year as a 6th grade science teacher!  I guess that's why making tutorials is so easy...

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 113
cutler070805 wrote
on 15 Apr 2011 9:37 AM

CathyL@5:

This may be off topic a bit:  I am using the summer/winter pattern as many of you are doing.  How is weft yardage calculated when you use a tabby and a pattern weft?  I have seen other patterns for this type of weave and it appears that the weft is twice the ppi. 

I am not sure how to exactly estimate for summer and winter wefts, but here is an application that may help: http://www.haleystudio.com/yarn_calc.html

My theory is always it's better to have more than you need, so if you overestimate at least you won't run out!  :-)  Summer and winter does seem to have 2x ppi, so maybe estimate what it would be for the tabby only and double that...

Kkeurg said a few posts back she was using a program called weaveit 2.0 and it can estimate weft stuff, maybe it can differentiate between the different weaves...?? I don't know because I've never used it but maybe you could google it.  In fact, I bet you could google this questions as "Weft calculations for summer and winter" and see what comes up...

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 6
CathyL@5 wrote
on 16 Apr 2011 7:41 AM

Here is a picture of a summer and winter table runner I completed yesterday.  I used 8/2 and 3/2 cotton.  

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 113
cutler070805 wrote
on 16 Apr 2011 8:40 AM

CathyL: I love it!!  I love the spring colors!  It's beautiful!!!

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 11
Redgeranium wrote
on 16 Apr 2011 1:27 PM

WONDERFUL!!  I'm planning to use 8/2 warp too.  How many threads per inch for the warp did you use?  I have a 16 dent reed and wondered if that'd be enough.......also have a 12 dent........    Will appreciate the info on what you did.  I'm motivated to get started.  Oh, how wide is your piece?

Thanks!

MJ

Page 3 of 5 (73 items) < Previous  1 2 3 4 5  Next > | RSS