10/2 tencel yarn

This post has 8 Replies | 6 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 2
on 19 Nov 2011 3:31 PM

My yarn of choice for many of my scarves has been 10/2 tencel.  I have been buying this by the cone from Textura trading company.  This year however, I have been unable to contact Danial Lomax or anyone else at Textura and fear that they have finally closed up shop.  Does anyone know where else I can purchase this yarn?  I go through about 5 # per year!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 229
on 20 Nov 2011 11:18 AM

I'm sorry to say that at least as far as I can tell, 10/2 Tencel is no longer available. Luckily, though, 8/2 Tencel is. You can use it as you used the 10/2, maybe opening the sett a bit (depends on your weave structure). It would be great if another yarn company would pick up the 10/2 Tencel that Textura carried, but I haven't heard any hopeful words about that.

Madelyn

Not Ranked
Posts 1
on 23 Nov 2011 12:23 AM

Has anyone tried 10/2 xie bamboo as a substitute?

Melissa

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 13
on 25 Nov 2011 9:07 AM

Recently I have had some problems finding white 8/2 Tencel as well.  Finally got some on backorder from The Woolery, but I was surprised when I couldn't find it.  I have made one white/white Tencel scarf, sold it, but also had two others who wanted the scarf.  I had to change my delivery schedule on these two, because I couldn't find it at all.  Is there a Tencel shortage?  Did everybody suddenly start using it?

Diana

Not Ranked
Posts 1
lotusland wrote
on 28 Nov 2011 1:12 PM

100% Tencol 8/2 is still carried by Brassard Yarns in Quebec, Canada.  Beautiful colors (22) plus Natural.  Check out their website:  www.mbrassard.com

Not Ranked
Posts 2
on 28 Nov 2011 1:53 PM

I spoke with someone at Textura a couple of months ago.  Did you try the phone numbers listed on their website (www.texturayarn.com)?  They told me they had 10/2 undyed.  Webs has 8/2 tencel in about 30 colors.

Re 8/2 vs. 10/2 - they are quite similar, but I find the drape with 10/2 is a bit better (for my taste).  And XIE bamboo doesn't have quite as much sheen as Tencel, but it's lovely and I use it.  Also I use the bamboo Webs sells, and find it is terrific.

10/2 tencel is also available from Just our Yarn (www.justouryarn.com)  Mostly they sell their hand-dyed yarns - but I have gotten white and black 10/2 from them

Deborah Lewis-Idema (dlidema@msn.com

Not Ranked
Posts 2
on 28 Nov 2011 9:31 PM

Thanks for all the comments....

re Textura Tading, my most recent email from Daniel (last week) says that he is all out of stock of 10/2  tencel.  He is still hoping to create a collective, but in the meantime has no capitol to purchase more.

I haven't used the Xie  bamboo but have worked with Valley 10/2 bamboo.  I like the yarn, but it has quite a different hand than the tencel.  I liken the 10/2 tencel to raw silk and the 10/2 bamboo to cashmere without the itch!  Would love to hear if anyone has used this yarn and what they thought of it.

Although I am sure the 8/2 tencel is a nice yarn, i really like the finer yarns better - my second choice has been 20/2 tencel..

Terry

Not Ranked
Posts 2
on 29 Nov 2011 7:47 AM

I've used Valley Yarns bamboo - and I agree wth you.  Hand is quite different (more drapy) and like cashmere without the itch.  I have also combined it with Webs 8/2 tencel (bamboo in warp and tencel in weft).  That makes the hand a bit closer to tencel - and gives a bit more sheen.

Do try Just Our Yarns.  Their dyeing is beautiful and it is 10/2 tencel. 

Not Ranked
Posts 1
on 27 Nov 2012 9:41 AM

Hi Everyone!  Please email Steve Elkins from WEBS.  They will consider having 10/2 natural tencel spun for sale if the demand is there.  Please let him know that you would like to see 10/2 produced again! 

email address is:    webs@yarn.com

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS