Where do I find

This post has 11 Replies | 4 Followers
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 5
on 11 Feb 2012 2:18 PM

The draft for Jean Scorgie's rug "Wave Crest" that was in Handwoven magazine ...issue Mar/April 1991?  It is pictured in the 2012 Handwoven calendar for January.  I have searched the Internet without success.  Thanks for any help.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 15
maryellen@5 wrote
on 12 Feb 2012 10:15 PM

Hi Janet,

My favorite place to locate books and articles is my Interlibrary Loan Account through my local public library.  I can use this to access books that my library doesn't have, but are in public libraries or school libraries around the country.  I can check out books for 3-4 weeks.  There is a waiting time while the book is located and sent to my library for me to pick up.  There is no renewal on these books.  So far, there have been two books I couldn't get out of 20+ I have requested.

I can also get copies of articles from magazines.  All I need to provide is the publication name, the title or subject of the article, the issue number or date, and the page numbers (especially helpful with weaving articles when the write up is in one section and the draft in another).  I can have a hard copy mailed to me or an electronic copy sent to my computer.  There is no charge for this, and, of course, I get to keep the copy of the article.  There is a limit on the number of articles I can request at one time.

Your local library can help you get this set up.  Then, all you have to is place the requests.

Mary Ellen

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 5
on 15 Feb 2012 7:54 AM

Hi Mary Ellen,

I should have mentioned that the library was my first stop shopping as I work in a library.  Unfortunately,  due to space very few libraries archive any longer & that especially pertains to craft magazines even if they do subscribe to them.  My ILL dept is now in the process of contacting arts libraries at various universities so hopefully, they may have microfiched their old stock for archival purposes.

But thank you for your suggestion, it was an excellent one.

Janet

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 413
on 15 Feb 2012 9:44 AM

Hi Janet,

We're working on getting older and older issues into CD format, but as we go further back in the archives the process gets more complicated. Our ultimate goal is to have everything available digitally,eventually, which will be especially fun when we get to all those issues where we have positives instead of digital photos--as is the case with the early 90's issues. 

Not terribly helpful in the short run, however. If you have a local weaving guild that would first of all be your best bet. Most guilds I know of have back issues of Handwoven, or at least have members who have most of the back issues. Plus guilds are generally wonderful and amazing, which is always a nice thing.

If you don't have a local guild, if there is an institution that teaches weaving such as a museum, LYS, or what-have-you, many will also have back issues on hand. When I took my first weaving class at a local art museum they had loads of back issues. If there is a college or community college that teaches weaving they would almost surely have the issues either in a classroom or the school library. 

If all else fails, you can usually find back issues for sale sometimes on online weaving stores and Ebay. 

I do hope this helps!

Christina

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 132
mrcman wrote
on 15 Feb 2012 10:24 AM

Hi Janet,

I have that issue. I could either send you the magazine or the info. Let me know which works best for you.

Tony

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 5
on 15 Feb 2012 3:46 PM

Hi Tony,

Wonderful!  I wouldn't want to deprive you of your magazine so if you can scan pp. 48, 91 & email them to me, I would really appreciate it. 

My email address is:  suncoast@accesswave.ca

Thanks so much!

Janet

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 132
mrcman wrote
on 15 Feb 2012 4:25 PM

Hi Janet,

I don't have a scanner. Let me see if I can get it scanned at the public library. If I'm not able to do it at the library perhaps one of those UPS pick-up sites have the ability to scan things.

Anyway, I'll check it out. It shouldn't take a day to find out.

I think you'll also need page 92.

Tony

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 132
mrcman wrote
on 16 Feb 2012 12:22 PM

Hello,

Office Max is able to scan the article and put it on disc. Then I can send it to your e-mail. I won't be getting into town until tomorrow though.

But, as soon as I can it will be in your e-mail box.

Tony

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 5
on 16 Feb 2012 12:25 PM

Tony,

That will absolutely be wonderful.....thank you for all your trouble.

Take Care,

Janet

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 3
Mary EllenM wrote
on 14 Nov 2012 2:56 PM

Janet,

I came across this post as I was looking for something else and since my name is Mary Ellen and I'm a librarian I was curious about  the postings 'cause I have no memory of making them.  BUT, that does not mean I did not.  the e-mail address or at least the partial address is not mine so I'm a little confused and curious-who is this Mary Ellen;-)

Mary Ellen McMurtrie

Las Aranas Spinners & Weavers guild, Albuquerque, NM 

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 3
Mary EllenM wrote
on 14 Nov 2012 2:56 PM

Janet,

I came across this post as I was looking for something else and since my name is Mary Ellen and I'm a librarian I was curious about  the postings 'cause I have no memory of making them.  BUT, that does not mean I did not.  the e-mail address or at least the partial address is not mine so I'm a little confused and curious-who is this Mary Ellen;-)

Mary Ellen McMurtrie

Las Aranas Spinners & Weavers guild, Albuquerque, NM 

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 5
on 14 Nov 2012 3:06 PM

Hi Mary Ellen,  Sorry, I can't help you because that was the only contact I had with her.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS