Fringe and Finishing Woven Woolen Blankets

This post has 3 Replies | 4 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 1
on 15 Mar 2012 4:06 PM

Hello! I just completed two woven blankets using the Jaggerspun Maine Line 8/2 wool with a sett of 15 epi. My intention was to full these to a density similar to a Hudson Bay Company Blanket. I am interested in suggestions for wet finishing. 

Also, I would either like to have trim ends with no fringe and a blanket stitch or just full, untwisted fringe cut to about 1 inch. I am curious if any weavers have suggests for how to accomplish these results. Should I hem stitch the edges before fulling to ensure that they do not unravel? 

Thank you!

Not Ranked
Posts 1
on 25 Feb 2013 5:55 AM

Hallow to you,

The question of how to make nice tassels on wee woven blankets has been bothering us for years, so much that we never bothered at all.

Here are some of ours ready for sale but it would be nice to make them a bit more formal with nice twisty tails.

How do they do it is the question.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 3
BGMeyer wrote
on 26 Feb 2013 7:36 AM

I have a fringe twister (I looked it up at Halcyon Yarns.com  http://halcyonyarn.com/products/equipment/61030300.html  This is ONE picture. They have 2 and 3 clip types too)  It twists two small sections of yarn in OPPOSITE directions. Then when you let go, they twist around themselves and stay. Wash it or full it, and they will not come undone easily.

barb

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 30
ReedGuy wrote
on 6 Oct 2013 9:58 AM

I'm not sure if your going to get the felting that a Hudson's Bay blanket has. Those go through a process that involves more than just washing. They are processed also to not shrink. So if you use a preshrunk wool, you will not likely have the felting or fulling that they do. I blanket stitch my blankets by hand before they get washed.  Was your blanket double cloth? I usually do a double cloth at 16 epi. on a 60" loom with 2-ply Briggs and Little. They also have blankets made for them, they call them double queen. They are not a full queen width, however a nice blanket. But Hudson's Bay has any size and they are the full size of each. You can buy a Briggs and Little for $100-150, a Hudson's Bay queen is about $400 at their stores.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS