HOW TO USE A WARPING PADDLE

This post has 5 Replies | 2 Followers
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 37
on 26 Dec 2010 1:01 PM

Hi, I want to use my warping paddle, but I don't remember how to get started. I need to know how to thread it and if I'm supposed to tie on to my warping board as usual before starting the paddle. Thanks for any help you can give. Michele

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 229
on 12 Jan 2011 5:01 PM

HI Michele!

There are probably several ways to do this, but what I do is this. First I line up the cones on my cone rack. Then I thread the paddle, taking one end from each cone (I only use the paddle that looks like a rigid heddle, know what I mean?). I thread the slots and holes (alternately) on the side of the paddle that I'm always going to keep closest to the wall/warping board.  Usually I bring about a foot or so of each thread through the slot or hole. When I've got them all threaded, I hold the paddle in my right hand and tie all the ends of the threads in an overhand knot to join them. Then I slip the group of threads over the starting peg, splitting them so the knot is on the back of the peg, and start winding. The cross has to be made almost immediately (right at the first cross peg) and this part is a little bit awkward (keeping the knot from sliding out of position on the starting peg), but once I'm underway it's fine.

(I do show this in my Warping Your Loom video, if you'd want to see it there, but you can also ask any questions about it you like. I love the warping paddle.)

Madelyn

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 37
on 12 Jan 2011 6:48 PM

Thank you Madelyn. I have ordered your DVD so I know that will help. I only had two colors this time, but I didn't use the paddle because I couldn't figure out how to keep them in order. This is a shadow weave shawl and I am using one dark color and one light color. I needed to start with the dark and end with a dark. Using a 15 dent reed, I'd sley l dark, l light, etc. across, but I didn't have a 15 dent reed and was going to use a 10 at 1,2, but (again) I think it would be way to hard to figure out how to keep the dark, light sleying going so I think, since I didn't use the paddle, I'll buy a 15 dent and do it right. Next time, I'll be armed with your DVD and the info you just gave me and I'll know what to do. Again, thanks for your explanation. It helped greatly.

Michele

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 229
on 13 Jan 2011 8:43 AM

I don't think you would want to use a paddle for only two threads. You can either wind the two together, keeping them separate with a finger (if the yarn isn't sticky) or, there is a way to manipulate your fingers so that you make a one-and-one cross even when you wind two threads together. What you'd use the paddle for is winding, say, eight threads from eight cones. You could do that for your shadow weave, and thread the paddle DLDLDLDL.

It is irritating to have that odd sleying if you are threading front to back, but you can do it. You'd just have to keep straight your D LD L DL order. It wouldn't be hard after you got into it.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 37
on 13 Jan 2011 9:50 AM

As I worked it out on paper, it looked confusing, but maybe I should give that a try. I hadn't thought about using the two threads more than once on the paddle, that sounds like it would have worked. Thanks for you help,

Michele

Not Ranked
Posts 1
pats4cats wrote
on 3 Nov 2012 10:44 PM

Madelyn, I watched your video on warping and it was quite helpful. Where did you find the warping paddle without a handle? Everything I am finding on the web seems to have one, and it definitely looks like it would get in the way. Also am looking forward to warping with my board hanging on a wall! Thank you for sharing your experience!  Pat

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS